8 reports of thefts from vehicles have been made to Gosport’s Neighbourhood Policing Team overnight last night.
Vehicles have been targeted on roads including: Gregson Close, Green Crescent, Woodside and Layton Road. Where cars and vans have been broken into, various types of tools have been taken.
Officers are continuing to carry out enquiries to establish which of these reports may be linked.
We’d like to take this opportunity to remind you of the following crime prevention advice:
Thefts from vehicles
• Don't leave anything in your car - if it's not there, then it can't be stolen.
• Choose a stereo that can be removed and make sure you take it with you! You should also mark it with your registration number or postcode, in case it's stolen.
• Thieves aren't picky, so don't leave even low-value items in your car. Often thieves will smash and grab first and look later to see if what they've stolen is valuable.
• Don't hide it - if you hide items under the seat or in the glove box, chances are someone will have watched you. If you cannot avoid leaving something in your car, put it in your boot before you begin your journey.
• Don't leave valuables in your car even for a minute - it only takes a thief a few seconds to smash a window and get what they want, so don't take the chance.
• Your car isn't safe to be left unlocked on your driveway - nearly half of all incidents where items are stolen from cars happen when they are parked overnight, close to the owner's home.
• Don't leave your house keys or anything with your address on it in your vehicle - someone could steal your keys and then let themselves into your home.
• Always secure your car.
• Always lock your car and wind your windows up, even if you are just posting a letter or going into a petrol station.
• If you are stationary in traffic, keep your doors locked and don't wind your windows too far down - someone could reach in and try to grab something off your passenger seat.
• Use a steering wheel lock every time you leave your car - it makes life more difficult for the thief and therefore your car a less tempting target.
• Get a car alarm - they not only deter a thief from stealing the car, but also from stealing items from inside it. Have it fitted by a professional.
• Immobilisers stop the engine from starting if the car is being stolen and they are the best way to stop thieves. Having an immobiliser is a good idea if you have an expensive car, and it might help to reduce your insurance premiums.
Log your property for free on www.immobilise.com
PC 27624 Harriet Copley
Neighbourhood & Preventions Team
Gosport Police Office