Please be aware that over the past week we have had several break-ins to sheds and garages in the Liss area of East Hampshire. Three properties were affected.
The thefts occurred in Warren Road and Mint Road, Liss. Several garden power tools – a petrol chainsaw, strimmer and lawnmower have been taken. A push bike was also stolen.
At this time no suspects have been identified.
Please ensure that you are vigilant at all times, calling police to report any suspicious activity, not just around your own property but anything suspicious in your residential area and community. In an emergency use 999 or 101 for non-emergency. Or if you wish to report anonymously please call Crimestoppers on 0800-555111.
Please be aware of the following crime prevention advice to help you protect your sheds and garages.
- Place all tools and garden equipment in locked sheds and garages.
- Fit an anti-theft alarm padlock to the shed or garage door.
- Install a locker / metal box with the shed / garage and secure with a padlock.
- Use tamper proof screws or coach bolts, use a good quality pad bar or hasp and staple.
- Bond any windows glass in with mastic to prevent easy removal. Fit grilles or mesh to windows.
- Secure more expensive items, e.g. mowers, bikes to an anchor point within the shed or garage. Use a chain linking all tools (if possible) and padlock using a closed shackle type security lock. Using a bike ‘D’ lock may be an alternative.
- Mark all items with postcode and record serial numbers. Eg. UV pens or forensic marking kits. Register the details for free on www.immobilise.com
- Take photographs of items such as statues and garden furniture if they are unusual, for easy identification at a later date.
- Fit alarms – place a wireless PIR motion sensor alarm in the corner of your shed or garage and also a door sensor alarm. (This can be linked to your smart phone /tablet)
- Fit a wireless CCTV system with motion detection (this can be linked to your smart phone)
- Keep the structure in good repair.
- Consider covering windows with curtains to obscure the view of the contents. Fit translucent window film if required.
- Consider external lighting – Fit PIR Lights to alert when someone is in the area.
- Ensure the garden fences are in good repair between neighbours to prevent unlawful access.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Fit a garage defender.
- Never leave your garage or shed door unlocked if you are not around.